Audrey Hepburn

Audrey Hepburn

Friday 15 January 2010

The Big Sleep and Martha Vickers lustworthy polka-dot shorts!




Dear Followers

I would like to share my first significant fashion find in film, that inspired this entire blog! That is- Martha Vickers in the 1940s Film Noir, 'The Big Sleep'. In her character Carmen's first encounter with the film's male protagonist Marlow (played brilliantly by the ever-oh-so-charming Humphrey Bogart), she wears THE shorts: High-waisted, white, polka-dotted and utterly gorgeous. They may just be the most gorgeous shorts in the history of film!



40s style was very much in this winter, with the red hats, the fascinators and the pencil skirt suits- why not continue this trend right through spring with look-alikes of Martha's shorts? I know I will!

I have found several shorts on the high street that match Martha's criteria, but so far it looks as if Topshop is your best bet. Here are my links to three of the best ones in store at the moment:





1. http://www.topshop.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?beginIndex=0&viewAllFlag=&catalogId=19551&storeId=12556&categoryId=183990&parent_category_rn=74433&productId=1552791&langId=-1

2. http://www.topshop.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?beginIndex=0&viewAllFlag=true&catalogId=19551&storeId=12556&categoryId=183990&parent_category_rn=74433&productId=1522024&langId=-1

3. http://www.topshop.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?beginIndex=0&viewAllFlag=true&catalogId=19551&storeId=12556&categoryId=183990&parent_category_rn=74433&productId=1490897&langId=-1

I have personally gone a little polka-dot crazy over the years... as these following photos can tell!




Basically a pile of all my polka dot clothing!








This high-waisted skirt is from Zara.














Even my umbrella is polka dotted!




















I hope this post inspired you to get discovering those perfect shorts!

Love and plenty of Tiffany Diamonds,

Emma x

ps. My favourite quote from 'The Big Sleep':

Carmen: What are you? A prizefighter?
Marlowe: No, I'm a shamus.
Carmen: What's a shamus?
Marlowe: It's a private detective.
Carmen: You're making fun of me.
Marlowe: Uh, uh.
Carmen: [she leans back and falls into his arms] You're cute.
Marlowe: [to the butler, Norris] You ought to wean her, she's old enough.

No comments:

Post a Comment